37th Homenetmen Navasartian Games Successfully Underway
With the 37th Navasartian Games underway, the weekend of June 16-17 will see a continuation of basketball tournaments at both Pasadena College (1570 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, CA) and Birmingham High School (17000 Haynes St., Van Nuys, CA).
The weekend will also bear the start of new tournaments, including swimming, which will begin on Saturday, June 16th at Birmingham High School.
On Sunday, June 17th, athletes of all divisions participating in soccer games will begin their tournaments at the Glendale Sports Complex (2200 Fern Lane, Glendale, CA) and track and field will commence at Birmingham High School.
On the occasion of the Navasartian Games, the following events are organized, which bring together both Homenetmen athletes and the community at large:
Victory Banquet: One of the main events surrounding the Navasartian Games is the annual Victory Banquet, which will be held this year on Sunday, July 1, 2012 at 7 pm at the Universal Hilton Hotel, located at 555 Universal Hollywood Dr. in Universal City, CA. The occasion will draw together guests including Homenetmen members, supporters and chapter representatives; sponsors; as well as honorary presidents and Exemplary Homenetmen Members from years past.
This event will feature the official transfer of the tricolor ribbon to the current Honorary President, Mr. & Mrs. Gagik and Madine Gevorkian, and will honor the 2012 Exemplary Homenetmen Member.
On the occasion of the Victory Banquet, a successful kick-off was held on Thursday, June 14th at the Homenetmen Center with the presence of a large number of members and supporters. Since banquet tickets are selling rapidly, those interested in attending should contact the Homenetmen office at (323) 344-4300. Tickets are $150 per person.
5-Day Festival: The following includes a detailed look into Navasartian’s 5-day Festival at Birmingham High School this year:
- Tuesday, July 3 – The festival will commence at 4 p.m. featuring a cultural program and fireworks.
- Wednesday, July 4 – Tournaments on Independence Day will start at 8 a.m. and the festival program will continue until 12 Midnight.
- Thursday, July 5 – Festival hours are 4 p.m. – 12 Midnight. For the first time this year, a class car and motorcycle show will be featured from 5 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Friday, July 6 – Festival hours are 4 p.m. – 12 Midnight.
- Saturday, July 7 – Tournaments will begin at 8 a.m. and the festival program will continue until 12 Midnight. The Navasartian Games’ closing ceremony will be held the same evening, featuring fireworks as well.
Long-time Homenetmen member Susie Minoyan will be overseeing the festival’s cultural program, which will include performances by well-known Armenian singers. A special arts and crafts section will be designated for young children.
This year again, Homenetmen chapters will have booths where various foods and items will be readily available for festival-goers.
Admission: The festival admission price is $10 per person for each day. Admission is free of charge for children ages 5 and under. Discounted 5-day admission passes ($35) are available for purchase online only until July 3, 2012 by visiting www.itsmyseat.com.
Homenetmen Staff: Alongside their regular duties and responsibilities, Homenetmen employees are hard at work to ensure the successful organization of the 37th Navasartian Games and Festival. Employees include:
- Rubina Djansezian – Executive Director
- Arpi Ananian – Office Secretary
- Nairi Kevorkian – Navasartian Committee Employee
- Fred Babajanian – Employee of the Athletic Council
- Sevag Garabedian – Office Employee
- Nareg Medzachian – Assistant to the Athletic Council
- Aram Amanian – Homenetmen Regional Executive’s Accountant
- Shara Davoodi – Assistant to the Athletic Council
Closing Ceremony: On Saturday, July 7, 2012, the official closing ceremony of the Navasartian Games will be held at 6:30 p.m. at Birmingham High School, including a flag ceremony by Homenetmen scouts led by the Homenetmen band.
Following remarks, Homenetmen scouts and athletes of all ages from near and far will participate in the march. Thereafter, trophies will be presented to winning chapters.
Festivities will continue after the closing ceremony until 12 Midnight, during which the games will be celebrated with much enthusiasm, performances, and a fireworks show.
For additional information about the 37th Navasartian Games, call the Homenetmen Regional Office at (818) 244- 3868.